Peace. We all seek it, few find it. Whether it is inner peace, world peace, or just a little peace and quiet, peace is a hard concept to grasp and an even harder one to hold onto. Personally, inner peace sounds too hippy, world peace sounds too beauty pageant, and peace and quiet sounds overrated. I am more drawn to the peace of God.
My life tends to lack peace in all forms. Anxiety has plagued me most of my life, so when peace gets too close, an anxious thought always shoos it away. I spent three blissful years as an English teacher where I taught 100 kids, planned 6 different lessons, read 4 books simultaneously, and corrected roughly 200 papers — all in one week’s time. I sought a more peaceful existence when the Lord called me to become a stay-at-home mom. Don’t let the technical unemployment fool you, peace continues to elude me because now I am responsible for three other humans.
God says in Philippians 4:6-7, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”
My life is a constant battle between accepting or rejecting the peace of God. God is the embodiment of peace; this is my motivation to seek Him every single day. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 14:33 that “God is not the author of confusion, but of peace…” and it is my goal to let God write my story.
However, I will be the one writing this blog. So, here’s a little about myself:
- Multitasking is my game: baby on hip, cooking dinner, talking on phone, yelling at dog — simultaneously. BOOM.
- I’m a bookaholic: I love to hold ‘em, smell ‘em, read ‘em, look at ‘em!
- I hit the husband jackpot two years ago when I married my favorite person. He gets me. What more could one ask for?
- My greatest accomplishment is my three kiddos (W is 3-year-old; F is 18-months; Baby 3 will join us in August 2018). They are quite literally the cutest children on the planet (no bias intended).
- I could imbibe roughly 67 Dr. Peppers a day and still fall asleep wanting another. Don’t judge: my addiction is completely under control.
- I might be the best Scrabble player like EVER. I have literally never lost (by literally, I mean that I have lost 2 times…maybe 3).
- Teenagers are usually my favorite people. I tend to find myself teaching them or coaching them or chilling with them. And no, it is not because they don’t drive me crazy, I just appreciate their unique perspective.
- Jesus Christ is the Lord of my life, my Savior, my best friend. I would be a puddle of goo without Him, so everyday I strive to give Him all I have (usually unsuccessfully).
So why am I writing a blog? Well, fundamentally speaking, unembellished and without ostentatiousness, I guess, it is merely because I like to write 🙂